When you think of lemon cake, you can probably imagine a handful of versions that you’ve either made yourself of tried somewhere. For me, a lemon cake needs to be refreshing due to the lemon but also sweet like a cake. I’ve tried a couple in different places, but somehow they are usually to sweet or too bitter (blame the lemon!). That made me challenge myself to make a lemon cake that had the perfect balance between sweet and sour 🙂
As usual, I had to make another small change to the ingredients to make it lactose free, so here goes…
- 3 eggs
- 150g butter (lactose free or alpro soy)
- 150g self-rising flower
- 150g sugar
For the lemon stuffing::
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 60g sugar powder
- 20g cornflower
- 100 ml water
This recipe will take about 20 min of prep time + 40 min in the oven.
- Soften the butter without melting it by heating it for 10-15 sec in the microwave as an example.
- Whisk the soft butter with the sugar in a high bowl until it’s a light and creamy mass.
- Whisk the eggs one by one through the mass and then add the flower to the mix.
- Put the dough in the cake shape and put it in a preheated oven of 180 degrees for about 40 min. The cake is ready when you can put a knife in it and it remains dry when you take it out, i.e. no dough is stuck on the knife.
- Take the cake out of the oven when ready, and let is rest until it’s lukewarm.
- Take the cake out of the shape and let if further cool down.
Now the lemon stuffing 🙂
- Pour 100 ml of water into a small pan and add the cornflower, sugar powder, lemon juice and egg yolk.
- Whisk the whole batch thoroughly and heat on a low fire. Keep whisking until it’s a very nice thick mass.
- Let is now cool down.
For finishing off::
- Cut the cooled down cake in two in the length.
- Spread the lemon stuffing over one of the cut pieces.
- Add the top back so that it’s again one whole cake.
- Finish by adding some sugar powder on top of the cake instead of normal frosting.
Your end result is a delicious and refreshing lemon cake that has just enough lemon taste and is lactose free 🙂
Let me know if you’ve tried a lemon cake before, and which version you’ve made! Always looking for new ideas 🙂